Friday, March 13, 2009

Bright Eyes

Aaruba was ready to see me when I went to visit him this afternoon. He was also ready to go for a brisk walk to check out the sights around the hospital, play with the resident tabby, and apply his mind to a little remedial groundwork lesson to relieve the boredom of hanging out on an IV all day.

As reassuring as it was to see him bright eyed and comfortable, we're not out of the woods yet. He's being offered a small amount of water, but no feed yet. He refluxed half a gallon around lunchtime, which is concerning but not devastating. They'll try refluxing him again in about an hour; hopefully, we won't get anything this time.

Here's the heartbreaking news: We're relatively certain now that Aaruba has something anatomically wrong with his small intestine. We'll do our best to diagnose and manage it, but our options are limited in both departments. Even if he recovers from this episode, it's probably just a matter of time before we face another round.

I don't know how many miracles one horse can manage.

6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Day by day...Will stressfull activity have an impact or doesn't it make a difference? Thank you for the update...He looks great in the photo.

Tamara Baysinger said...

Hi Lori. I've talked with a couple of his vets about that -- surprisingly, both have said that if we're dealing with an anatomical issue, endurance isn't really an issue. What happens will happen, regardless. I'll do more research, or course, but it sounds like whatever is best for Aaruba mentally might be the way to go physically.

The photo, alas, is from June 2008. Aaruba is still in the hospital tonight.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Amazing horses can manage all kinds of miricales and it seems to me Aruba is pretty amazing.
Still sending prayers and a bunch of appy power your way.
Aruba, you need to come over and dance around with Freedom...the old guy still has moves and you would feel better.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Don't worry about the future. I know it's hard, but try to focus and live in the moment. Truly, that's all we each have anyway,

I'm just so glad to hear he's made it through the night. Yay!

That photo of him captures his beautiful essence. He's stunning!

~Lisa

Unknown said...

He is so beautiful and really promises so much. I hope he can overcome this thing. But if he cannot, my heart and love go out to you as I know what it is like to face mortality with my best friend.

At the least of things I hope he can come home and enjoy life with you even if his protential cant be met. Hard words to say and hear. But they are come from sincere HOPE.

Anonymous said...

I am keeping Aruba in my thoughts during this difficult time for both of you...

One thing to keep in mind about the intestinal issues is that he was able to do, athletically before you heard this diagnosis.

I know you have a lot on your mind; the only thing that comes to my mind is perhaps (for the future) the addition of Brewer's Yeast. There was a study done on young horses and it showed better digestion of foodstuffs; perhaps it could help if he has limited intestinal tract length?