Saturday, December 27, 2008

Rider Resource: Endurance Conditioning Log

I'd venture a guess that most endurance riders keep track of their conditioning efforts by one means or another. Some hang large calendars in their garages and record distances, weather, and recoveries in the spaces. Others keep notebooks or planners in their tack rooms.

Personally, I use Excel spreadsheets to not only to record actual workouts, but also to map in advance my entire year's conditioning and training schedules for eight horses. This method enables me to progress through an intentional series of workouts designed to train and condition each horse at an appropriate pace.


Thanks to my Endurance Conditioning Log, I know today exactly how far and fast I'll be riding Consolation on August 22nd next -- 20 miles at 7.5 mph, thank you very much. (Yes, I'm sure Sigmund Freud would have had a field day with me. Why do you ask?) Obviously, a plan is only that. The beauty of an electronic log is that it can be easily updated to accommodate a horse's changing needs or a rider's shifting schedule.

Several individuals have contacted me of late requesting a copy of my spreadsheets, so I've decided to make them available to you all. To download a copy of my 2009 Endurance Conditioning Log, follow the link to Box.net and log in as follows:

Email: TBWReaders [at] gmail [dot] com
Password: TBWReaders

Under the My Files tab, you'll find a folder labeled Endurance Riding Tools. In the folder, you'll find the Endurance Conditioning Log, as well as my Endurance Conversions Chart.

When you open your newly downloaded 2009 Endurance Conditioning Log, you'll find an Introduction tab at the bottom left side of your screen; click there for instructions on how to use the Log. If you aren't an Excel expert, never fear; the worksheets are protected so you can't possibly screw up the formulas. If you are an Excel expert (unlike me), feel free to unlock the cells and go to town. I'd be pleased to hear your ideas for improving the Log.

In addition to a blank template, the 2009 Endurance Conditioning Log includes sample data -- my conditioning plans for Aaruba and Consolation. Thanks to our winter weather, you'll need to scroll down to view these plans, which won't spring into action until March. Of course, you're welcome to overwrite the sample data with plans for your own horses.

Enjoy!
_________________________________________________________
Related Posts
Rider Resources: Endurance Conversions Chart
How to Condition a Horse for Endurance: A Collection of Resources
Log On: Sample Endurance Horse Conditioning Schedules
_________________________________________________________
Has this blog been useful to you?
Subscribe to The Barb Wire

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKYOU, Tamara!!

Jonna said...

thanks Tamara, it seems endurance riders are alwasy looking for ways to track things better. I really like what you have done here and will likley replace my journal entries with something like this instead.

BTW, I was curious. Since you have 8 horses, are you planning to train all for endurance?

Tamara Baysinger said...

You're very welcome!

Jonna, I do plan to focus on endurance as my chosen sport, so that'll be the direction in which I take all the Barbs. However, I can't possibly work full time and keep 8 horses conditioned -- let alone find enough time and money to compete with them all -- so only a few will be on "active duty" at a time.

I think I'm going to need help soon, to keep up with it all. Not quite sure how that'll function...

Jonna said...

I was just wondering in case you had the magic answer to working and keeping more than a couple horses in condition. Next season, I will have JB, then I am putting Rebel back into a conditioning program to try for a 25 miler. Then there is one other possibility. A 4 year Morgan mare that someone wants to give me that might be a good endurance prospect. Oh if we could just quit our jobs!