Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Lion Abroad

Wind fascinates me. It sweeps down like an invisible predator, and the entire countryside bows. In spring, it cracks the ice upon the troughs with weightless footsteps. The horses alternately hunker beneath its claws and spin like dandelion seeds before its breath. It steals precious training hours, leaving entire weekends shredded and useless in its wake. Did I say 'fascinates?' I meant 'infuriates.'

It is well that I have another project on my hands, one that can progress despite the roar beneath the eaves. (For those who have kindly asked, the book is coming along well, though last week was a nightmare of stubborn, snarled plotlines. The middle is always the hardest to write. Have you ever noticed that it is often the hardest to read, as well? These facts are related.)

I work beside a window, impatient for the moment March's departing tail will sweep the sky with gold. In the meantime, may method forstall madness. Words, words! They're all we have to go on!

6:00 pm update: Well, I finally threw caution to the wind (ha!) and took Aaruba out for a conditioning ride. We rode the gusts for 16 miles and made it home just in time for the storm to blow itself out. Ah, well. The wind left a thick layer of clouds behind, and our forecast calls for nothing but rain until Wednesday so, all things considered, I'm glad I took what miles I could get. And now, ladies and gentleman, back to the book. (You know I have to finish it, now that I've told y'all what I've been up to. No promises when it comes to actually getting the thing published...except that I'll give it my best shot.)
_________________________________________________________

Related Posts
Gone with the Wind
_________________________________________________________

Want to read more posts like this one? We deliver!

Subscribe to The Barb Wire

5 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Hope this week goes better with the book. Nice photo of the horses.

Lori Skoog said...

I look forward to learning more about your book.

Tamara Baysinger said...

Thanks, guys.

CJ Splash -- This weekend has gone much better, thank goodness. Last week was downright painful, but that's a normal part of the process. Any fiction writer who says differently is lying...but wait, isn't lying what fiction writers DO? ;-)

Lori -- Me too! This one is like nothing I've written before. The characters are doing a lot of the telling. When things are going well, writing the story isn't so different from reading it. When things aren't going well...hmmm... That's not so much fun.

Spartacus Jones said...

I believe my pony is a close relative of the wind.
They love to play together.
Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I get to play, too.

sj

Anonymous said...

Is that a wee line of text below your post?

I share your *shudder* feelings about the wind. And your love of words. I love YOUR words. Keep em coming.