Friday, March 13, 2009

Hope

My cell phone glitched and dropped the vet into voicemail without ringing. I checked the message with eyes closed and heart pounding, ready to be told the time was here for a very difficult conversation.

My vet's voice was utterly astonished. "Your miracle horse did it again."

This morning's rectal exam revealed no distended small intestine. Aaruba didn't reflux much overnight, and is much brighter this morning. Just like last time, in October 2007, he should not have survived this. It was almost impossible the first time...but a second? Amazing.

Now, we walk the dicey path of putting him back on feed and exploring management strategies to deal with the mysterious, underlying small intestine problem that seems to be responsible for these near-lethal episodes.

Don't put those curb chains away just yet.

(For those who are wondering, COTH forum readers collectively refer to prayers, good thoughts, positive energies, and the like as "jingling," as in, the hopeful jingling of curb chains.)
_________________________________________________________

9 comments:

All Who Wander said...

Tamara,

Great news! So happy for you and if "jingles" are what you want, then "jingles" you've got :)

~E.G.

Tamara Baysinger said...

Thanks, EG, and thanks for the post over on your blog as well. *teary*

As for jingles, I believe in the prayer variety, myself. :-)

Unknown said...

I just caught these posts and my prayers are certainly 'jingling' your way for both a recovery and a solution to keep your partner well and you both on the trail. Carmon

Lori Skoog said...

Tamara...so glad to hear the news...more jingles from Skoog Farm....

east end jenn said...

What a relief! Still jingling . . .

Andrea said...

Such great news!! I believe in miracles, and I know you do too. Gogo and I are still jingling for you guys... or well, she would be jingling if she was wearing a double anyway ;)!

allhorsestuff said...

Oh sweet news on a sunny day! I am "jingling" thanks now too!Oh...sighing some whew!
Kac

Ashley said...

Tamara, you and Aaruba are in my thoughts and prayers right now. Hope he continues to have a successful, fast recovery.

Liz Goldsmith, EquineInk said...

Still jingling! But great news.